The Student Finance Specialist supports the university mission by assisting students in understanding their account balance and financing options. This position is responsible for incoming and outgoing communication with students to help them to remain in good financial standing and to guide them through the collections process when necessary. This position is responsible for assisting new students in securing their financial aid and military benefits, as well as ensuring students are financially prepared to fund their education. An important part of this role is to proactive outreach to students to ensure students clear account issues so that they can remain in their courses. Will manage a case load of between 500-600 students between new and continuing students each term. This is a highly student focused role and superior customer service through phone and email interaction is key. This position reports to the Student Finance Supervisor and is exempt.
About Colorado State University-Global Campus:
Our Mission: Colorado State University-Global Campus is committed to advancing student success in a global society, investing in human capital, expanding the state economy, and enhancing the quality of life for citizens in the state of Colorado and beyond by providing access to dynamic degree programs characterized by academic excellence, innovative delivery technologies, and strong stakeholder engagement. Our Vision: CSU-Global Campus is the premier provider of innovative, higher learning opportunities for nontraditional students in Colorado and beyond.
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) was created by the Colorado State University System Board of Governors in 2007 as the first 100 percent online state university in the United States. CSU-Global is focused on facilitating adult success in a global marketplace through career-relevant education including bachelor's degree completion and master's degree programs. Embracing the land grant heritage as part of the Colorado State University System, CSU-Global sets the standard for quality and innovation in higher education through its expert faculty trained in working with adults in an online learning environment, and through its dedication to student retention, graduation and workplace success. CSU-Global’s student focus requires employees to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, team environment.
Candidates located in the Denver region must be available to come on-campus. Candidates located outside of the Denver region can be considered for fully-remote work.
Job Duties / Performance Objectives:
• Provide excellent customer service to students and staff
• Respond to students and staff within the service level agreement
• Treat everyone in accordance to the CSU-Global Way
• Provide accurate, consistent and compete information to students and staff
• Accurately respond to incoming emails and phone calls from students
• Provide outreach calls to students to discuss financial aid packages and to help students understand student loan borrowing
• Assist students with understanding how their military benefits work and their options on covering any out of pocket costs
• Assist students with verification and professional judgement process and documentation
• Explain any additional payment options including scholarships, employer reimbursement and tuition discounts
• Ensure new and reentry students have submitted all required finance documentation and are financially prepared before the drop date of their first course
• Make outgoing calls to students to collect payments for term start
• Make outgoing calls to students to collect missing documentation for assigned population
• Create and provide additional documentation to students based on needs (program cost, loan eligibility, loan history, degree plans and invoices)
• Assist continuing students in remaining in good financial standing
• Make outgoing calls to students to collect payments on past due accounts for assigned population
• Provide outreach calls to students regarding and R2T4 or Return to Lender activities
• Follow up on documentation required after start date (COEs, TA authorization forms, and billing authorizations)
• Other duties as assigned
• Problem Solving
• Critical Thinking
• Organizational Skills
• Time Management
• Strong Verbal and Written Communication
• Intermediate Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Acrobat Reader
• Demonstrated knowledge of Title IV Funding requirements
• Demonstrated knowledge of Military Funding requirements
• Demonstrated ability to have difficult conversations
• Ability to provide effective solutions to complex situations
• Results Oriented
• Customer Focused
• Innovative Thinking
Experience & Education Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree from regionally accredited university
• 2-3 years of customer service experience over the phone
• 1-2 years of student facing advising role in Higher Education
• Internal candidates – last performance evaluation rating at ‘meets expectations’ or higher
Applications will be accepted until an appointment is made. Applications must include: resume; cover letter addressing interest and qualifications; names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses for three references. Applications will be held in confidence except for the individuals invited for campus interviews. All applications should be in Microsoft Word format.
Performance Assessment: Performance assessments are required to help determine the candidate’s ability to perform the duties of the job. The performance assessment will test the candidate’s ability to apply the skills and competencies listed above.
CSU-Global offers employer contributions to medical, dental, group life, AD&D coverage, Wellness benefit and training & development opportunities. Additional employee-paid benefits are available for vision, FSA/HSA, voluntary life, and voluntary AD&D coverage, critical illness and accident insurance. CSU-Global also offers a 401a retirement account with a generous employer match, 100% tuition assistance for CSU-Global programs (Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees), paid sick time, paid vacation time, 10 holidays per year and the potential to work remotely. CSU-Global employees are state employees and have access to the Colorado State Employee Assistance Program (C-SEAP) resources. Discounted pet insurance is also available.
The successful candidate must pass a background check.
Colorado State University System is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding affirmative action requirements. In order to assist Colorado State University System in meeting its affirmative action responsibilities, ethnic minorities, women, and other protected class members are encouraged to apply and to also identify themselves.